top of page

Student Visa (Subclass 500)


The Student Visa (Subclass 500) is a temporary visa that allows you Visit Australia to participate in a course of study.



The Student Visa (Subclass 500) currently costs $620AUD. Additional costs can be incurred if you apply for multiple student visas.


The Student Visa Subclass 500  allows you to:

  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia

  • travel in and out of Australia

  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts




To be eligible for the Student Visa Subclass 500, you will need to:

  • Be a certain age (if you are a school student) as outlined below:

    • If you are a school student (but not participating in a secondary school student exchange program), you must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.

    • You must also be:

    • less than 17 years old when you begin Year 9

    • less than 18 years old when you begin Year 10

    • less than 19 years old when you begin Year 11 

    • less than 20 years old when you begin Year 12 

  • You must include evidence of enrolment in study with your student visa application, or your application will not be valid and cannot be processed.

    • Providing a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

      • You must be enrolled in a full time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

      • Applying outside Australia: provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each course of study with your visa application.

      • Applying inside Australia:  You must be enrolled in a full time course before we grant your visa. 

    • Packaged courses and CoEs

      • If you are applying for more than 1 course in your student visa application you must include all CoE codes in the application form or your visa period may only consider the duration of the course according to the the CoE provided.

      • You can apply to take 2 or more courses on your Student visa where one course clearly leads to the next.  Course gaps must be less than two calendar months, unless the first course finishes at the end of the standard academic year and the next course commences at the beginning of the standard academic year.

      • If you are applying for more than 1 course in your student visa application you must include all CoE codes in the application form or your visa may only cover the CoE provided.

    • Other evidence of enrolment 

      • You do not need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you are: 

      • enrolled in a full-time course of study or training under a scholarship scheme approved by the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade: provide a letter of support

      • sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence: provide a letter of support

      • a secondary exchange student: provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form

      • a postgraduate research student who needs to stay in Australia while your thesis is marked: provide a letter from your education provider

  • If you are under 18, you will need to make welfare arrangements.

  • You may need to demonstrate that you meet English Language requirements.

  • You will need to demonstrate that you have adequate health insurance.

  • Not currently hold one of these visas (If you are in Australia at the time of applying):

    • Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)

    • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream

    • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia

    • Transit visa (subclass 771)

    • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream

    • Usually you must hold a visa that allows you to stay in Australia when you apply. You might be able to apply for a new student visa if it has been less than 28 days since your student visa expired and provided this has not happened before If you do not hold a substantive visa, you can't apply for a student visa if you have ever held a substantive visa that you applied for in Australia while unlawful.

  • Have enough money to support your stay.

  • Be a genuine temporary entrant.

  • Meet necessary character and health requirements.

  • Sign the Australian values statement.

  • Pay back debts to the Australian Goernment.

  • Not had a previous visa cancellation or refusal.

  • It must be in the best interests of the child.


The Student Visa Subclass 500 visa needs to be done right first time and to avoid unnecessary delay, use a registered migration agent Mark Pelley - Principal Migration Agent for Visas To Australia. The Student Visa Subclass 500 requires substantial documentation to support claims made in the application. This process can be lengthy and confusing. Failure to correctly apply for the Student Visa Subclass 500 could result in a rejection from the Department of Home Affairs and having to reapply and to pay all costs again. Contact VISAS TO AUSTRALIA to help you apply for this visa.


Book an appointment with VISAS TO AUSTRALIA today by calling us on 0403 875 409 or send us an email

To see other WORK visas available, click on the links above or to go back to a list of the different types of visas, click HERE.

bottom of page