top of page

Child Visa (Subclass 802) Onshore Application


The Child Visa (Subclass 802) allows a child (who is currently in Australia) who's parents are Australian citizens, Permanent Residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to remain and live Australia indefinitely with their parents. Cost of this visa is currently $2470.00AUD. If the Child is OUTSIDE Australia, you need to apply for the Child Visa (Subclass 101).


The Child Visa (Subclass 802) allows a child to remain indefinitely in Australia as a permanent resident. They are entitled to Medicare and Australian citizenship if eligible.

To be eligible for this visa, you will need to be:

  • A dependent child of a parent who is an Australian citizen, Permanent Visa holder or eligible New Zealand Citizen.

  • Either under 18, between 18 - 15 and be a full time student and financially dependent on parents, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability.

  • Be single and dependent on a parent.

  • Be inside Australia for the application and when a decision is made on the visa.


The Child Visa (Subclass 802) is a permanent visa that also allows the child to travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years. If the child wants to travel overseas after this time they will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return Visa or alternatively apply for Australian citizenship. If the child is adopted, they may want to consider the Adoption Visa (Subclass 102). The Child Visa (Subclass 802) can only be applied for by children who were adopted by a parent who at the time were NOT Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.


If the child has siblings who also want to apply, they will need to submit separate applications for each sibling. If the child (under 18) has themselves, dependent children, they can apply at the time of application or any time prior to making the application. Dependent children of the child must meet relevant health requirements. You will need to be sponsored by an eligible parent, or parent's spouse or de facto partner. You will need to meet the health requirements and have paid back any debts to the Australian government. The Department of Home affairs must determine that it is in the best interests of a child for the visa to be granted. It is important to note that there must be the written consent of BOTH parents who can legally decide where the child lives as well as there must be permission by the laws of the child's home country permitting the removal of the child.


This visa is suitable for for biological children of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand Citizens.




The Child Visa (Subclass 802) costs over $2000AUD to apply for. To ensure that your application is to get your application done right first time and to avoid unnecessary delay, use a registered migration agent Mark Pelley - Principal Migration Agent for Visas To Australia. The Child Visa (Subclass 802)  requires substantial documentation to support claims made in the application. This process can be lengthy and confusing. Failure to correctly apply for the Child Visa (Subclass 802) could result in a rejection from the Department of Home Affairs and having to reapply and to pay all costs again. Contact VISAS TO AUSTRALIA to help you apply for this visa.


Book an appointment with VISAS TO AUSTRALIA today by calling us on 0403 875 409 or send us an email

To see other CHILD or other FAMILY visas available, click on the links above or to go back to a list of the different types of visas, click HERE.

bottom of page